Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Voodoo Doughnut



I arrived in Austin on the red-eye, getting to the hotel at 1am. I was a bit wired, so decided to get the camera out and start shooting on Sixth Street. One of the first things that caught my eye was this neon sign for Voodoo Doughnut. Neon. Doughnuts. I was curious.

During the day, the store front still looked cool.



Where the heck do I begin? More importantly, how do I control myself from ordering one of everything?!?



I settled on the bacon maple doughnut. Bacon. Nothing else needs to be said. The beverage selection was skimpy and the hospitality at the front counter was even skimpier, so I got a chocolate milk to wash it all down with.



Inside, I had plenty to take a gander at, including this doughnut tree.



Black velvet art:



Overall, it was a good doughnut and a fun shop to experience. Not sure that I would run back immediately on my next trip, but I would probably give it a second shot.

More Austin, Texas photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Janey said...

Voodoo originated in Portland, where I'm from, and is a massive tourist destination in Portland. It's been interesting watching it grow from a literal hole in the wall in downtown to a chain. They are opening one at Universal Studios soon too.

-Janey

TokyoMagic! said...

I want to try a bacon maple doughnut! Was there bacon inside the doughnut too, or just on the top? And if you stick a pin in a Voodoo doughnut, somewhere does a Krispy Kreme scream?

Fifthrider said...

I've never seen a black velvet painting of Garry Shandling before.

Katie said...

We have Voodoo in Denver and they are definitely one of my favorites. I won't stand in a HUGE line for them, but I've been known to wait half an hour or so. My favorites are the raspberry filled and the fruit loop :) They also made Raspberry Beret - a raspberry filled purple frosted one in honor of Prince for one weekend only.