Thursday, July 14, 2016

Wright in Chicago: Oak Park Home



My last trip to Oak Park to see the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio was when I was still shooting with film. Interior shots were not allowed, and looking back at the exterior photo that I took I am definitely not impressed. You can imagine how excited I was to be able to go back and revisit this mecca for architectural enthusiasts and have a second shot over 20 years later.

The weather cooperated and granted me a beautiful sunny day.



I was just as spellbound by Wright's home today as I was two decades ago. I especially dig this little alcoved area with a fireplace. Wright was all about creating spaces for conversation.



The height of the chairs practically creates a mini-room inside of the dining room.



A bedroom:



The ceiling of one of the bedrooms:



And a closeup of the mural:



My very favorite spot in the house is the playroom, with its barreled ceiling:



The fireplace and mural:



A detailed view:



Primitive or not, I'd still love this bathroom!



I especially like the expressive statues on the exterior of the house:



How I feel on a Monday morning:



More Frank Lloyd Wright at my main website.

3 comments:

DrGoat said...

All I can say is wow. Beautiful.

K. Martinez said...

I love the alcove with fireplace. Wonderful delights at every turn. Thanks, Dave.

Anonymous said...

This is an exceptional home, no question. Your pics came out better than mine, no surprise.

Really a great neighborhood too, many beautiful homes and a concentration of FLW designs.

JG