Monday, April 28, 2014

April at Disneyland: Disneyland RR Dioramas



It was time to head over to Disney California Adventure, and what better way to finish a day at Disneyland than to take The Grand Circle Tour on the Disneyland Railroad? Today's post is centered on the grand finale, beginning with the Grand Canyon Diorama.



The beautiful panorama painting, the lighting, the taxidermy…it all comes together for a real "wow" experience that I always enjoy. Add in the music by Ferde GrofĂ© and you have a winner every time.



Love the rainbow.



And then, we head back in time to the Primeval World!



Those crazy animatronics that came from the New York World's Fair may be a bit corny, but I enjoy them, too!







What a finish…dinosaurs, lava, and dramatic lighting!



As a final treat for today, here's an image from the UCLA Digital Archive, showing the Triceratops being put together, July 14, 1966.



See more vintage & current Daveland Disneyland Railroad Diorama photos on my main website.

4 comments:

MRaymond said...

I am saddened when I read (on-line) that people want to rip these dioramas out. They are gorgeous. Take them out and you see the boring backstage area.
I could see restoring it all and upgrading the animatronics but not ripping it out.

Major Pepperidge said...

Beautiful photos of one of my favorite things at Disneyland! I've never heard of any rumors of their possible removal - I can't imagine why they would want to do that.

K. Martinez said...

Your photos of the Grand Canyon diorama are postcard beautiful. The Disneyland Railroad and the Grand Canyon/Primeval World dioramas are the "Walt Disney" part of Disneyland that still exists and I don't seem them being slated for removal. Thanks, Dave.

Unknown said...

I don't know if this helps or not about the building that you couldn't identify to recreate the shot in Balboa Park. I don't remember what the original Old Globe or Aerospace Museum looked liked, but they both burned down in 1978 and new buildings replaced them.