Monday, March 03, 2014

Vintage Mardi Gras, Pt. 1



Before I get to the subject of today's post, I want to comment on how enjoyable last night's Academy Awards Show was. Although I wasn't there (they forgot to send my invitation yet again), having Ellen DeGeneres as the MC certainly made this sometimes very stiff affair a ton-o-fun. Only Ellen could get Jared Leto, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Bradley Cooper, Peter Nyong’o Jr., Channing Tatum, Julia Roberts, Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt, Lupita Nyong'o, and Angelina Jolie together for a selfie. Any paparazzi would have been slugged for that one. AND they're all smiling. The best part was that it crashed Twitter when Ellen got her wish of it achieving the most re-tweeted post ever: 2 million!

Back to regularly scheduled programming. Welcome to my 2-part celebration of New Orleans' Mardi Gras, aka "Fat Tuesday."



These images are from the 1950s and show vintage revelers doing pretty much what today's revelers do. Only the fashions have changed.



This annual party has survived and thrived since the late 17th century.



Ah, Thunderbird. Named for the Thunderbird hotel in Las Vegas, it was the drink of choice for cheap revelers everywhere. ZZ Top made it famous in a song of the same name.



This man is a native, but I couldn't tell you what he is native of. Wherever it is, I think I'd be scared to go there.



Just like today, those less brave stand from balconies, throwing beads (and other items) to the drunks below.



I'm more interested in the pecan waffles being served at the Coffee Pot restaurant! Today, it appears this space is now a gift shop.



Two more shots of the crowds and the streets.





Last one for today show's the latest in potato sack fashion. Were they inspired by Lucille Ball's "I Love Lucy" Paris Dress episode?



Come back tomorrow for more Mardi Gras vintage fun!

See more vintage & current New Orleans photos from my collection on my New Orleans web pages.

1 comment:

K. Martinez said...

I'd have to say that even though the wins were predictable with no upsets, it was a lot of fun to watch. Ellen definitely made it lighter and more enjoyable than I've seen in a while. I thought the acceptance speeches from Lupita Nyong'o and Jared Leto were also a nice touch to the evening. Overall, better than usual.


What great images of New Orleans and the Mardi Gras. I love the costumes in images 3, 6 and 11. Looks like a blast.

Image 7 with the balcony scene is frickin' awesome! In image 10, is that a "jailbird" on the balcony?

I've been to New Orleans in the 1970s, but have never seen Mardi Gras. I love these are look forward to more. Thanks.