Thursday, November 15, 2012

Disneyland June 1972 Photos, Pt. 1



For this short June 1972 series, we'll need to check into the Disneyland Hotel before we can enjoy The Happiest Place on Earth. If this photo had been taken in 2012, these two little girls would be standing near the ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe.

Instead of a 1950's retro-themed pool, visitors to the Disneyland Hotel in June 1972 would have had access to this Marina and pedal boat ride area.



Hard to believe this is the same area, especially without a tower facing this view.



But enough about our lodging; let's board a Skyway bucket and zoom over to Fantasyland!



See you there tomorrow!

See more vintage and current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland web pages.

5 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Nice vintage Disneyland Hotel shots. I used to stay here with my family in the 1970s. It was a great place to stay and I always liked the intitial entry into the park to be via monorail into Tomorrowland. Looking forward to this series.

Major Pepperidge said...

Hey, a Skyway from the Hotel to Tomorrowland, I like it! Let's make that happen.

Daveland said...

K. - I always thought there should be a Monorail Station at the entrance to the park; entering through Tomorrowland seems like you're missing the opening credits or intro to a great movie.

Major - If not a Skyway, how about a zipline? That'd be a winner for sure!

Anonymous said...

I have never stayed in the Disneyland hotel. I think it would have been weird to enter through Tomorrowland. Now, we stay at the Grand Californian, and everyone just wants to walk in the usual way.

I don't care, any route in is fine with me now. But I still miss the skyway.

Oddly, I dont feel too nostalgic about the changes to the hotel. I think the whole resort complex over there is very well done now. It feels fairly well integrated considering the wide time span of construction and the constraints of buildings already in place, etc.

Looking forward to this series, Dave. Thank you.

JG

Rich T. said...

It took me several trips to get used to the way that monorail station area's laid out now, with the street passing under Downtown Disney. It still makes me feel a bit disoriented to see those trains of the future pulling up near Rainforest Cafe -- Not to mention speeding right through Grand Californian. It's hard to believe the tracks and station didn't move at all!