Friday, February 03, 2012

Tinker Bell Half Marathon & Trip Report, Pt. 1



When I found out that guys were eligible to run in the Tinker Bell Half Marathon, of course, I had to sign up. Disney definitely has the most organized and entertaining races; plus, it was a good excuse to keep training through the holidays (and thus help me from packing on the extra pounds!). Attempting to conserve my energy, I took the Monorail into the park after picking up my race packet at the Disneyland Hotel. This provided me with some overview of the all the construction going on at Buena Vista Street in Disney California Adventure.





The Monorail also gave me a view of the construction going on at The Matterhorn.



Sounds like this beloved 1959 attraction is getting a complete overhaul. Note the flag on top of the construction site.





The lone bucket.



I was pretty excited to try The Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe; it didn't disappoint, either.



The Merry Cherry Lemonade that's on the exterior menu board is nowhere to be found inside, but that was really the only negative.



The chat boards have lit up like Christmas trees, debating the thematic appropriateness of Mary Poppins on Main Street. I have no desire to weigh in on that particular debate. What I can tell you is that it's a beautiful restaurant and that I very much enjoyed my meal.



Plenty of fun details from the classic Disney film to keep guests occupied while they wait in line (and yes, the lines are long...it appears to be a guest favorite already).



The cast member appears to be attempting to step into Burt's "chalk" scene recreated in tile:





When cast members are ready to take your order, they hold up a penguin fan.



The loss of the Stouffer's meal was a real cluster move on the part of the Imagineers, but I do have to give them credit for this wonderful little tribute.



Great silhouettes of the four main characters from Mary Poppins:



My sandwich and chips hit the spot.



Unfortunately, because of the race I didn't indulge in this delicious looking lemon cupcake. I vowed to take a raincheck.



Another great detail is the Mary Poppins weathervane.



The exit sign frames the Matterhorn perfectly.



Over in Adventureland, the entry sign looks great after its recent refurbishment:





I always try to take advantage of The Haunted Mansion, especially when it's in classic vs. Jack Skellington mode.



I just love it when Little Leota invites me to hurry back.



On the way out of Town Square to DCA, I made sure to stop and look at the beautiful poppies:



The Carthay Theater construction appears to be wrapping up. It will be a great addition to DCA.









We headed over to The Art of Animation to draw Pluto:









A little Tower of Terror action to whet our appetite before dinner:





And the last ride of the evening was The Little Mermaid, which is apparently about to go under tarps soon for a few tune-ups. This makes me happy, as it shows that Imagineers realize this attraction fell a bit short. For me, the Ursula scene is the highlight:



Overall, this attraction could use a little more drama and excitement. Love the music and the design, but just a little more oomph would help.





And then it was time to head "home" to the Anabella Hotel for a good night's sleep before the Half Marathon.



Stay tuned for part 2 on Sunday! See more vintage & current Disneyland photos at my Disneyland website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dave, the various construction projects are shaping up nicely. I appreciate the update.

Hope you had a good time.

JG

Connie Moreno said...

Great post, Dave!