Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship & Guidebook



This undated photo shot at the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant is from either 1956 or 1957. How do I know? Just check out that little beauty in the young maiden's hand:



Want any even closer look? The following photos are from my own 1956 Disneyland Guidebook. The cover is a little worn, but the interior pages are still in pretty good shape.



Over the next few days, I will be doling out a few pages at a time from this wonderful park souvenir. You have no idea how much I love the retro design of this piece!





Hard to imagine a time before the Matterhorn, but you can clearly see it missing from this park map:





See more vintage Disneyland Brochures at my main website.

4 comments:

Thufer said...

Oh, this promises to be excellent. I am very much excited to look into this goody.

That bird in the cage at the end of the dock; that was a live bird, correct?

Daveland said...

Thufer - You are correct! A live green parrot.

Major Pepperidge said...

The souvenir guide books were one of the first things I collected when my Disneyland obsession began! I could be mistaken, but I believe that there are actually minor variations in some of the earlier books depending on which printing you have. But I've never been obsessed enough to check it out!

Katella Gate said...

This book as a lot in common with the graphics used in the late 60's, early 70's gate pieces. I wonder if the art work was "demoted" when sales of the souvenir book came to an end.