Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Indian Joe, October 1959



One of the touchstones for me is seeing Indian Joe—both the Main Street and the Frontierland versions. He has always been a popular photo opportunity, by witnessed from these October 1959 images.



It is interesting to compare him to the present-day version; the knife has definitely been downplayed by putting a painted "sheath" over the originally shiny "blade" from 1959.



The headband also has a different pattern than its predecessor; overall, the original seemed to be painted in much more vibrant colors.



See more Disneyland Frontierland photos at my regular website.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Nice photos, and thanks for pointing out the changes (like that knife blade, which I don't think I paid attention to before!).

Connie Moreno said...

Now you've got me wanting to go through boxes of old photos looking for those shots I just know we took with Indian Joe!

Daveland said...

Get busy Connie - I want to see them!

Heidi Ann said...

I was tickled to see this, as we have just come home from Disneyland - and for the first time ever, we took pictures with Indian Joe!
I didn't even know his name....