Tuesday, November 03, 2009

July 1957, Pt. 1



With all the time we’ve spent in the 60’s, I figured it was time to shift things back a decade and do this series set in July 1957. Some of these shots are a tad shakey, but I love this set nonetheless. The first image is one of my faves. Look at these adorable children standing in front of the Mickey Floral at the Main Street Train station, holding their ticket books like the most valuable prize in the world. They can’t wait to start ripping ’em out!



And you can’t go down Main Street without having your photo taken at the Bob Gurr Carnation Wagon!



See more Disneyland Main Street, U.S.A. photos at my website.

5 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Cool pics with cute kids. That's Disneyland.

Major Pepperidge said...

I wonder if the boy and girl portrait was taken as they were leaving? It looks like the girl's ticket book is missing some tickets already, and the boy's straw hat has to be a souvenir. Great pic!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

OMG I want those ticket books and the flyer in the boys hand!

Where is the Carnation Truck these days????

Chris Merritt said...

Really cute shots Dave!

Y'know - since there are soooo many vintage family slides of theme parks out there, it makes you wonder. How could so many families give up their treasured images so easily? I'd never part with the 1950s slides my grandfather took at Disneyland. I just think of all those families, and wonder how they could let them end up for sale? Of course - we are all reaping the benefits by seeing amazing images, so I'm not complaining. It's just odd to me that there seems to be so much out there. Or maybe you, David E., PJ, Ken S., etc have such amazing collections you make this stuff look common...

Chiana_Chat said...

It amazes me too Chris. Probably a little of both. They have awesome collections, that's no question. I've never seen any. But all those were sold off and it is a lot. I have a bunch of family photos back to the later 1800's (!) but most families don't seem to keep any photos. Then there may be a lot of sad tales behind how these happy moments came to us. Branches of families dying off and no one wanting the photos... an awful lot of people ignore the seniors of their families. Saddest of all, these collections are likely a tip of an iceberg, the majority of which have been and will continue to go into the garbage instead of being given the time and attention to be sold off in order to be rescued by our friends.