Monday, October 05, 2009

Trip Report, Pt. 2



After a deliciously filling meal at The Blue Bayou which put me in the expected food coma, I had to go to the Fantasia Freeze to get a Tinkerbell Twist as a pick-me-up. If you've never had one, you have no idea what you are missing. It is a combination of a sour apple and sour watermelon slushee, swirled together to give you a mouth-puckering sugar rush that invigorates and keeps you on the go for hours. On top of that, I have a theory that the amount of sour in this beverage probably helps dissolve cholesterol, too...but for now, that’s just a theory. As we rounded the corner of the Matterhorn, my eyes were shocked to see that the Fantasia Freeze cart was gone. However, I remembered that the new building just a few steps away was going to be a concession area of sorts (Edelweiss Snacks), so I held out hope that Tink’s drink was being served there. As we got closer, I could see the familiar slushee equipment and I was elated; 2 seconds later I was crestfallen to see that only the blue and red slushees were available (along with a frozen apple flavor). When I asked the cast member if they still had Tinkerbell Twists, she kindly directed me over to Toontown and one of the carts over there. Fantastic...I still had hope! Meanwhile, Stacy was content to have her Diet Coke. I raced over to Toontown only to discover that Tink had been removed from that cart as well. I can't remember the last time I have experienced such disappointment at Disneyland. My consolation prize was getting a frozen apple beverage. Not the same; not at all. Stacy could see how upset I was, so to calm me down, she told me we didn't have to ride small world. Wow...I guess good things CAN happen even in the worst of times! In the meantime, please enjoy the 2 photos of the very cool signage for the new concession building in Fantasyland. Turkey legs, slushess (!), and other delights await your next visit. Just don't ask for a Tinkerbell Twist. The castmembers here will divert your disappointment and force you to go to Toontown.



Now it was time to head over to California Adventure. As we were leaving, we ran into a few favorite characters, decked out in seasonal Halloween garb:





I always feel a little jolt of pleasure whenever I discover something new in the parks, no matter how small. This was the first time I’d seen this survey marker in the plaza as you enter Disney’s California Adventure; most of the time I am rushing to see my fave attractions and don’t bother looking at the pavement.



For an even bigger first-time thrill, Stacy introduced me to the Animation Academy. I had been once years ago, and remember sitting in a lecture-hall type atmosphere learning about the animation process. Fun...but no need to return. Well, in the meantime, apparently the Animation Academy had undergone some changes unbeknownst to me. Now, guests actually learned how to draw and left with their own version of a Disney character, coached by actual Disney artist. Wow! How cool is that?!?



I was in multi-tasking hell as I attempted to follow instruction, draw on my piece of paper, and check out all of the awesome memorabilia strewn about the shelves of the lecture hall! As an extra bonus, we got to see the trailer for the highly anticipated upcoming release, “The Princess and the Frog.”







We had so much fun drawing Goofy that we went back for the next “show” and got to draw Donald. Afterwards, we watched the Zoetrope Toy Story demonstration. I love seeing that thing...the illusion of motion never ceases to amaze me.





Stay tuned for part 3. See more Disneyland photos at my website.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like to Tinkerbell Twist you should try a Dole Whip from Adventureland! Its my favorite Disneyland treat!

Kurt Miller said...

I know the crestfallen feeling. I was crushed to find out that they quit selling the delicious frozen Florida orange-juice/vanilla ice cream swirls at the Sunkist counter in WDW Adventureland. What they have now is like a push-up pop. Nowhere near as good.

Daveland said...

Anonymous: Dole Whips/Dole Whip Floats are an old favorite (when the line isn't too crazy!), but they just don't pep you up after a Monte Cristo like the Tinkerbell Twists did. Kurt - thanks for feeling my pain! I have fond memories of guzzling white grape juice at WDW 30 years ago. Any of those stands left?

Anonymous said...

Another great trip report:)
Do you trip reports at Xmas also?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

GREAT Trip report(s), so sorry about the "Tinkerbell Twist" let down, nothing worse than getting disappointed at Disneyland... Maybe they are just phasing them out for the summer??

I've stared at the Zoetrope thing for about 15 minutes straight, its mesmerizing...

I do like the Edelweiss Snacks building, but no more Turkey Legs, those things are gross! When I see people eating (devouring) them, it reminds me of the urning truck scene in Night of the Living Dead...

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
I love your pictures. What kind of camera do you use?

Major Pepperidge said...

Boy do I hate it when I am all ready to eat something that I have been anticipating, only to find that I'll have to get something else. The "something else" is never as good!

I agree with VDT about the turkey legs, how did those become theme park food? Guess you can carry them around easily.

And I need to see that Toy Story Zoetrope, it looks amazing.

TokyoMagic! said...

So are they selling Turkey Legs at the new snack shack? The turkey on the signage is a little too much. I don't need to see a cow on a sign just before I order a hamburger either. I admit to having eaten a turkey leg or two at DL before, but I've never been able to finish one. At Tokyo DL they sell small chicken legs with a small thigh attached. Maybe that's why their obesity rate is lower than ours.

Daveland said...

Anonymous 2: I usually do trip reports whenever there is something new to report (an attraction, appearance, event, decor, etc.) or if I have a really fantastic time...which is most of the time I visit. So yes, most likely I will have a Christmas report. Mr. & Mrs. Brown: I use a Nikon D300. Thanks for the compliments! Yes TokyoMagic - they are selling turkey legs at the Edelweiss Snack Hut. I am sure Julie Andrews approves of the name, but probably not the fare - can you see her gnawing on a turkeybone? I wonder if the name of the shack is a little wink to Julie's "Sound of Music" connection?

Kurt Miller said...

"Kurt - thanks for feeling my pain! I have fond memories of guzzling white grape juice at WDW 30 years ago. Any of those stands left?" - Hmmmm... I guess the fact that I'm not exactly sure what one of those stands are answers your question :)

I hope they don't get rid of the Monte Cristos!!!

It's annoying when you only get to the parks every 4-5 years and something that you really liked is now gone.