Friday, July 17, 2009

July 1960 Trip to Disneyland, Pt. 3



We’ll finish this series by spending the day in Fantasyland. Naturally, you’ll want to enter through the Sleeping Beauty Castle. Over at the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant, the women folk are ignoring the man, who appears to be stuck with a squirming toddler which can only mean one thing—let’s hope that gent’s pants are washable!



Not quite as stomach-wrenching as the teacups, Dumbo probably has done its fair share of churning up a few churros in its day.



The Pinocchio attraction was light years away when this Fantasyland photo featuring the Mickey Mouse Theater was taken:



Last one is one of my faves, showing the Skyway floating over Fantasyland. I really love the whimsical design of the Casey Junior Ticket Booth:





See more Disneyland photos at my website.

5 comments:

CoxPilot said...

Dave; This series is great. It is just what I remember of my days at Disneyland. The colors are spot on, and the overall feeling is so bitter sweet. It seems that the park was a lot less commercial looking in those days, even though commerce was what it was all about. Back then, you didn't get clobbered with stimulation, and because of that you felt "at home" at Disneyland.

The Viewliner Limited said...

These are without doubt some of the coolest Fantasyland pics I have seen Dave. God, this place was great then. Memories... all good! Thanks, Richard.

Heidi Ann said...

I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Disneyland on this day!

Cassandra said...

I am quite young and did not get to experience the thrill of Disneyland back in the days, and for that I am actually quite sad! It seemed much more homey and less driven by fans of movies and such (not that I dislike the movies). Judging from these amazing photos and descriptions, vintage Disneyland seemed a lot more imaginative. I love it! And the Skyway... wow!

Mr. Mouse Monthly said...

Sweet Fantasyland pics!

In the Dumbo shot, there is a sign in the background advertising the Fantasyland Art Corner. I've heard of the art corner in Tomorrowland and the exhibit in the Edison Square tent, but this is the first I've seen of this particular store.

Anyone know the story of the Fantasyland Art Corner?