Monday, September 17, 2007

Tencennial: The arrival



If you have no interest in The Tencenniel/1965 photos, you might want to avoid my blog for the next week or two. This series was taken in September 1965. Today is post one in the series, starting out with (what else?) Main Street. This look back towards the Train Station shows the Tencenniel signage/bunting on the Main Street gaslamps. Shot 2 is a little closer to the Train Station; always interesting to see the shops that are still there and the others that are gone.



#3 is the money shot that EVERYbody takes, a view towards the castle (get that Cast Member out of the street, willya'?!?). Included is a closeup of a Plaza Innn paper sign on the gaslamp: “A Victorian Restaurant in the Grand Manner.”





One more money shot (no cast members this time!) and a detail of the Tencenniel signage.





See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland Main Street U.S.A. photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

So all of these were from one photographer? They were real shutterbugs. Lucky you to find them!

Unknown said...

Avoid your blog!?!

No way! Especially with all of these great shots of Disneyland before Walt's paasing.

Looking forward to the rest of the series!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great Series, I guess I am bias for 1965 since it’s the year I was born!

These are nice shots; Main Street looks so clean and wholesome!

I recently read that the Kodak store (left side of Main St. in photo #2) was run by Art Linkletter and he shared in the profit for the first decade, a deal he made with Walt to host the Opening show.

I can’t wait to see the rest of this series! Thanks so much for your great Blog!

Tim

Daveland said...

Major: Yup; one photographer. It was almost like I was there shooting them myself!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Thanks Dave- now I have one more lamp post sign to obsess over- The Plaza Inn sign is amazing. I love that even this late, they were still using the lamp post signs to advertise new attractions. Most of the early lamp post signs I have seen stopped at 1961. In 1978 the signs started up again.

Anonymous said...

Matterhorn, you can have that Plaza Inn sign. I've _gotta_ get one of those 65 Tencenniel lamp post signs as the Tencenniel is the focus of my DL collection! I wonder if any still exist?