Monday, August 06, 2007

Fun on Tom Sawyer Island



August 1958 brings us these 4 views of Tom Sawyer Island; in the first one, looks like the blue skirt has no body. Maybe the maiden was kidnapped by pirates...oh wait, I’m 40 years ahead of myself. They haven’t arrived on the island yet. The last shot shows the now destroyed Fort Wilderness. Having just been on the island this weekend, it was kinda’ sad to see it gone. And what is up with the fake logs? They sure look awful...can it be that difficult to treat real lumber so that it lasts?







For more vintage Tom Sawyer Island photos, visit my regular website.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I haven't seen the Pirate's Lair for myself, but the photos I've seen of the structure that replaced Fort Wilderness make it apparent that Disney "cheaped out". I actually had hoped that the settler's cabin would blaze again...pirates raided it! But no, it is now a boring, bland little set piece.

Adam Hazlett said...

Look at all the people!!! It's like they just opened Pirates Lair...But as Tom Sawyer's Lair
The same amount of people anyway! Great shots.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Nice images of one of my favorite places in the park. I will even say that now with the Pirates overlay, it is still a fun place to visit.