Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Balanchine for my Birthday



I am a firm believer in Serendipity, and when for some reason I felt the need to search for performances of my favorite George Balanchine ballet "Serenade," it came as no surprise that it was playing on my birthday. In New York City no less, at the David H. Koch Theater.



This would mark the third time I had seen this ballet that debuted back on March 1, 1935 (no, I wasn't there for that one!). Set to the music of Tchaikovsky, it has four movements: Sonatina, Waltz, Russian Dance, and Elegy.



The first time I saw it was a performance at Indiana University. It was one of those experiences that changes you creatively. I could not get over the magical combination of music, lighting, color, and movement. I fell in love with the genius of Balanchine immediately.



The second time I saw "Serenade" was in San Francisco, and it was just as powerful as the first.



And the third time was also out of this world.



Cameras are not allowed during a Balanchine Ballet, so you'll have to forgive me for these crappy images. They do not begin to do justice to what I saw.



The sphincter police DID allow photos during the curtain call!





More New York City photos at my main website.

No comments: