Friday, November 13, 2015

The 49th State



This February 1964 image shows the Monsanto House of the Future in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Like most of my photos, the fun is looking at the details, such as the plaque for the flag representing our 49th State, Alaska. And how about that Enchanted Tiki Room attraction poster! Or the guy who looks like he could be a Secret Service Man!



At first I thought this wad of cloth was a Christmas decoration.



Looking at the one next to it I realized it's just a folded flag, waiting to be unfurled.



More House of the Future photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great colors there, Dave. It almost looks like the blues are a little too dominant but the bright red splashes (Kodachrome?) put the lie to that notion. And I think Alaska's motto at that point was: Give us a minute, will ya, it's barely been five years!

K. Martinez said...

I used to walk right passed the Corridor of Flags as a small child and never even notice them or give them a thought. If only I was old and mature enough to appreciate them back then.

Anyway, that is really a cool detail with the flags bundled up yet to be unfurled. Now I'll be looking for unfurled flags in old Disneyland photos. Thanks, Dave.

Fifthrider said...

ALASKA, 49th state.

Motto:

Brrrrrrr!!!

K. Martinez said...

And here I thought the motto was: I can see Russia from my house!

Debbie V. said...

I remember walking through the House of the Future thinking how light and airy it was. It had very bright colors (lime green and orange come to mind). Things were hidden away to be revealed by the push of a button. I also remember thinking how some things were missing from a typical home then. But the overall impression that the future was going to be exciting and better. This was the feeling all over Tomorrowland back then. I hope it comes back.