Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Death Be Not Proud



The recent loss of Doug Chaplin, a person very dear to me, has taken away my desire to blog. I will be back soon, but in the meantime I leave you with this sonnet by John Donne which seems so appropriate to how I feel about my recent experience.

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death; nor yet canst thou kill me.
From Rest and Sleep, which but thy picture be,
Much pleasure, then from thee much more must flow;
And soonest our best men with thee do go—
Rest of their bones and souls' delivery!
Thou'rt slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell;
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke. Why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And Death shall be no more: Death, thou shalt die!
—John Donne


If you feel so inclined to donate in Doug's memory, I would so greatly appreciate it. A donation page has been set up at the American Cancer Society.

14 comments:

Debbie V. said...

Sorry about your loss. It takes time to recover I know.

stu29573 said...

I'm very sorry. Time does heal.

Mark said...

I'm sorry, Dave. Take care!
Mark
InsightsandSounds

K. Martinez said...

I'm so sorry about your loss, Dave. I know it can take time to recover. Take whatever time you need to heal. My thoughts and prayers are with you and for your dear friend Doug Chaplin.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, Dave.

JG

TokyoMagic! said...

I'm so sorry Dave. My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your families.

thepicklebarrel said...

hang in there, dave! very sorry about your friend.

Anonymous said...

Stunned to hear of your loss Dave. Best thoughts to you. We all will await your return.

KS

outsidetheberm said...

Such sad news. When your blog went silent, this is what I feared. God bless, Dave.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Sending you positive Disneyland thoughts.

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Dave. Last year I went through a tough loss myself; take all the time you need.

Matthew said...

Dave, words cannot begin to express my sorrow. Doug was a great friend and I am very fortunate to have met him. His smile and boyish wonder of Disneyland will always be with me. I agree with Major Take all the time you need and know that my thoughts (positive Disneyland ones like Matterhorn1959's) and prayers are with you!

Always your pal,
Matt

Anonymous said...

God bless - sorry for your loss. May you find strength the the love and world around you.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Grief has no set schedule. Sometimes it just hits from out of nowhere. Of all of the words I have ever heard from others while grieving, I get the most comfort from my own pets,especially my dogs. Be well...