Wednesday, July 08, 2015

The Coolest Pig



Every time I fly home it is a happy requirement that we visit the Brandywine River Museum, most notable for its collection of paintings by the Wyeth family. As you can probably tell from the overcast photos, they were taken last spring when the weather was just a bit chillier! Charles Parks' statue, Boy with Hawk, is always a welcome site when we arrive at the museum.



Obviously spring was not ready to arrive in Brandywine during my trip.



I was fortunate enough to be able to see the Jamie Wyeth exhibit that left shortly after my trip. His "Portrait of Pig" has always been a family favorite.



Some of the galleries allow photos; others do not, so I relegated myself to following the rules this time. I didn't want to be barred from my favorite museum!





There were a number of pen and ink drawings on display, including this Charles Dana Gibson (of "Gibson Girl" fame):



and this Rose O'Neill piece. She is best known for her Kewpie dolls.



This Thomas Sully painting from 1843 jumped out at me, mainly because it looks very much like my niece when she was young. The vibrant colors are also right up my alley.



Afterwards, mom and I ate at Hank's Place, located down the street.



It was a Wyeth family favorite, where Andrew could often be seen enjoying a meal.



It wasn't hard to imagine him sitting hunched over the counter drinking a cup of coffee.



The cinnamon rolls really hit the spot.



More Brandywine beauty at my main website.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Love reading about good ol fashioned family outings. You are blessed to come from a beautiful place in our country. And I too was slightly enamored by the "Portrait of Pig."

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Major Pepperidge said...

I have to get to that museum someday; I am a huge fan of N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Andrew Wyeth. To be able to see those incredible paintings in person would be amazing.