Thursday, January 22, 2015

Early Morning on Sunset Pt. 3: Hollywood High



My only previous shots of Hollywood High School were of the Mural that was being painted back in 2002 by Eloy Torrez. Built in 1910, this Art Moderne classic was right on my way home as I was dashing down Sunset with my camera early one morning last month.



Who would ever think that a high school could be a work of art?



The lettering style is a favorite of mine, very much like that used in Burbank at the Disney Studio.



The clouds added to the beauty of this quiet morning.



Oh the beautiful round corners of Art Moderne. If only life were this smooth!



The designs in the concrete blocks are reminiscent of what Frank Lloyd Wright used in many of his buildings.



To think that Judy Garland, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mickey Rooney, Carol Burnett, and Lana Turner actually got their diplomas here!



See more Daveland Hollywood High School photos at my main website.

2 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I lived on N. Orange, directly across the street from Hollywood High School back in the Summer of 1987. I remember seeing one of the most spectacularly massive fireworks displays that summer celebrating the Hollywood centennial. It was launched from the campus grounds, so I got a great view of the show that seemed to last a substantial amount of time. Great memories. Thanks, Dave.

Unknown said...

"To think that Judy Garland, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mickey Rooney, Carol Burnett, and Lana Turner actually got their diplomas here!"

Hey, you didn't mention my Mom! Probably just a slip, eh, Dave? :)

Great architectural shots though.