Thursday, June 12, 2014

54 Years Ago Today: Walt and Nature's Wonderland



According to the notes on these photos from the USC Digital Library collection, these shots were taken 54 years ago today. Walt Disney opened the upgraded Nature's Wonderland attraction with his grandchildren Tammy Miller (age 3), Joanna Miller (4), and Chris Miller (5), who are carefully checking out one of the animatronic animals on the attraction. I have also seen the date written for this event as May 28, but for the sake of today's post, I'll play along with USC.



An alternative view from my collection. These beavers look a lot like the gopher from "Caddyshack."



Here they are aboard the mine train, with Walt ringing the bell.



A joyous Walt, obviously pleased with what his team of Imagineers have created.



The day also included a ride on the pack mules:



Lillian is visible in the background:



One thing I DO know happened on this date back in 1957 was the opening of the Monsanto House of the Future:



From Mules to Monsanto. What a journey.

PS: Yes, I know there have been issues lately with being able to leave comments. Not my thing; it's a blogger/google plus (aka google minus in my book). Talk to them.

See more vintage Daveland Disneyland Nature's Wonderland photos on my main website.

No comments: