Saturday, October 01, 2011

Happy 40th Anniversary, Walt Disney World!



Interrupting today's normally scheduled program, Daveland brings a mini-celebration of WDW's 40th Anniversary. Looking to expand his theme park kingdom, Walt Disney ventured further east and settled on Orlando, Florida. The photos from today's post come from the collection of Daveland reader Greg Kelly, a former employee of Walt Disney World. All of these shots are from 1975, back when the Contemporary Hotel was still Contemporary!



From 2010, during my last trip to WDW, I shot this sunrise view of the Contemporary from the sandy beaches of the Polynesian Village Resort:









Thanks to the maturation of the landscaping, the Haunted Mansion looks even more Haunted now, as you can see by this photo that I took in 2010:





The 70's look even worse from the backside.



These two lovely ladies look as if they are ready to serve a cocktail on the next flight.



Although Walt Disney World doesn't hold quite the appeal that Disneyland does for me, I still have extremely fond memories of a trip I took back in 1978 with my father when I spent an entire week exploring the resort. I think "What Not To Wear" could have done an entire episode on my Junior High wardrobe at the time. Here I am with my stepbrother, modeling my 70's chic style. PS: The hat had a zippered pocket in it.



The obligatory Castle-In-The-Background shot with my dad.



Somehow, dad arranged a private meet-and-greet with Mickey. The bored look on my face was directed towards my dad for shooting too many photos.



Oh the horror of that hat.



As a special 40th WDW Tribute, Daveland is giving away this stunning vintage ashtray. Just leave a comment for this post by Monday, October 3rd at noon, and you'll be entered to win (Continental U.S. of A. only, please!).



Only the finest quality at Daveland!



See more WDW photos on my Walt Disney World web page.

14 comments:

orbitalpunk said...

Thanks for sharing from your personal collection!

Amy said...

Happy 40th Anniversary, WDW! Thank you for keeping these memories alive!
(love the hat, btw...;)

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post, wow, lots to look at!

I don't even smoke but I want that ash tray!!!!

Re: that hat, do you still have it?

Oswald The Lucky Rabbit said...

It's always great to see pictures from the personal collection!

Katella Gate said...

Happy Birthday WDW, the 2nd Happiest Place on Earth. Thanks also for sharing your personal photos, I wish mine looked as sharp...

Kev said...

Don't worry, Dave. I don't think any of us had cool clothes back in the 1970's. I had the plaid bell bottoms and platform shoes to prove it.

DISNEYMAGIC71 said...

Dave thank you so much for all the time & effort you put into your work. The pictures are always awesome. Not only today, but everyday. Thanks for sharing and bringing the magic to us everyday. ; )

Diana said...

Great photos :)

stu29573 said...

You know, I just realised that my first WDW trip was the tencennial in 1981. I dont know why I never thought of that before...

Anonymous said...

A nerd in 1978 and still a nerd.

TokyoMagic! said...

I have to say it again...I love the seventies! I wish I could have seen WDW during it's early years. Too bad they messed with the original design/layout of the Contemporary and built that DVC tower next to it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since they ruined the cool mid-century modern design of the Disneyland Hotel too.

Love that ashtray!

Marcy said...

I turned 40 a few weeks ago, myself!!! Still haven't been to Disney World - hoping to take the kids there someday. Love your blog!
(And the ashtray :)

Marcy

JG said...

Dave, I hope you kept the hat too.

I praise your courage for publishing these photos. Even tho the anonymous may mock, your friends never will.

May your good memories never fade.

JG

Daveland said...

I am 99% sure that those hats are history; slight chance they may be stowed away in an attic back at mom's, but highly doubt it.

JG: thanks for the support. I am fairly sure that I know the moron, oops, I mean Anonymous commenter! It's all good.