Thursday, July 14, 2011

Traveling Thursdays: Vintage New Orleans, Pt. 2



Welcome to the "Jazz Corner of the South," Jazz, Ltd., conveniently located on Bourbon Street.

Va-va-voom! Who the heck is Sheeba? I have a feeling our photographer has moved to a different club than Jazz, Ltd. to capture this particular shot.



Perhaps Chez Paree? All I know is I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Candie Barr, aka The Texas Terror!



Back to some less "seamy" view of New Orleans:



A little alley with an artist, attempting to capture the flavor of New Orleans with her brush and paper:



Here's a closeup of her painting; wonder what happened to it?



How about a nice cup of java at the world famous Café du Monde? I'm not much of a coffee person, but a beignet sounds like heaven right now.



These two are in hog heaven, completely unaware of the photographer capturing their gluttony for all to see some 50 years later.



See more vintage and contemporary New Orleans photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

LOVE Café du Monde coffee! I have a can in my cupboard right now.

JG said...

My local deli sells Cafe du Monde coffee. I am going to buy some now.

You probably know this Dave, but Candie Barr was famous (notorious) once upon a time. She cut quite a swath in Las Vegas back in the day. She has quite an article in Wikipedia, right next to how Noah built Hoover Dam.

I don't know who Sheeba is either, but apparently she is emphatically of the female persuasion. That would have been an entertaining show.

Great to see these shots of a real city. Would have been to be a bad boy back then.

JG

Connie Moreno said...

These are great! This has nothing to do with New Orleans but that shot (or shots?) of Sheeba reminded me of when I was a kid and we would go to Tijuana for the day and we would be walking along the boulevard and pass window displays like that. My father would always hurry me along but I was so fascinated by the "glamorous ladies", LOL!!