Monday, April 18, 2011

Disneyland, July 28, 1958, Pt. 3



Welcome to Frontierland, circa 1958! The Columbia is all the rage, as you can see from this promotional banner hanging from the gateway into Frontierland. In fact, the excitement of the new ship has caused this guest to sit down and rest for a bit.



A vintage/contemporary compare & contrast view:





Pendleton was eventually replaced with the Bonanza Outfitters. I think I'd rather have Pendleton; they make great sweaters!



If you’re afraid of the water, you can just sit back and gaze upon the beauty of the Mark Twain:



Perhaps from the area of this quaint little gazebo/bandstand that was typically the home to Dixieland-style music:



A shot of Tom Sawyer's Island and a raft full of guests:



For all you Gladys Kravitz-types, here's a closeup of the guests so you can critique what they are wearing:



2nd only to the back side of water is the back side of the Twain:



And the Columbia, fresh as a daisy!



The best way to work off those churros:



I wonder if the rafts ever crashed into the Twain?



See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

NICE!! Gladys Kravitz, LOL! I am curious, what is the monogram on the back of the white iron chairs in the gazebo shot?

I like the center planter in Frontierland, no longer there, of course. And as for Pendleton, I wonder if they left because of the bad association they had with gang bangers? Not by their choice of course but the stupid cholos would wear Pendleton shirts - if was their "look" and I remember quite often seeing them purchase the shirts at that shop.

Daveland said...

Connie - I think it is just decorative ironwork on the chairs. Of course, I could be wrong! I think Pendleton went out when the other shops were kicked out during the Pressler years so that Disney could sell its own merchandise.