Wednesday, April 16, 2008

iasw, Devlin-Style, June 1969



It’s back to the Devlin Family; previously, they shared with us their view of Nature’s Wonderland, Storybook Land, and “New” Tomorrowland. Today, we will see their family photos of It’s A Small World (iasw for all you Disneyland geeks!) attraction building, which is my favorite part of the entire ride (I know, I should be boiled in oil for that one). No discussion of any future changes necessary; this post is just a look at the ride as it was in 1969. Shot #2 is revelatory for me; you don’t realize just how flat the show building is until you see a side-view like this, taken from the PeopleMover.



A few closeups, including the way-cool clock:





Ah, the angst of being a fast-growing teen wearing floods...



And last but not least, a closeup of that wacky topiary:



Tomorrow we’ll take a sneak peek of the inside of this legendary attraction. To see more vintage & current Small World photos, visit my website.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Everytime I am in front of that building, I try and take a few moments to pick out all of the famouse architectural landmarks that are on display. The Leaning Tower, the Taj Mahal and Big Ben are the easiest ones to spot. I think St. Peters is in there, too.

Major Pepperidge said...

What, you mean I can't rant and rave about the proposed changes to this attraction? ;-)

The exterior of IASW is one of the all-time classics, thanks for the photos!

Jason Schultz said...

Putting on my nomenclature hat for a moment, Dave, the photos are more properly of the facade. The show building is a big box behind the facade. :)

I don't think I've ever seen those blue and white umbrellas before. They certainly look a lot better than whatever was there the last time I looked!